Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Here’s hoping they starve to death
Saddam Says He's on a Hunger Strike

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Saddam Hussein and three former officials in his regime on Tuesday told the court handling their trial that they were on a hunger strike in protest of the judge overseeing the proceedings.

Saddam said he had not eaten in three days, while his former intelligence chief, Ibrahim Barzan, said he had been on strike for two days. Their claims of a hunger strike could not be independently confirmed. The defendants are being held in U.S. detention, and U.S. officials could not immediately be reached to comment.

Investigative judge Raid Juhi did not deny the defendants were refusing food when asked about the strike after the day's three-hour session. "This is an administrative problem that the court is working to verify and it will work also to solve it... with the responsible parties in the custodial authorities," he told reporters.

"But, as you could see, the defendants are in good health," he said.

Chief judge Raouf Abdel-Rahman, who took over the court last month, has worked to impose order in a court where outbursts and arguments have frequently overshadowed the testimony...

1 Comments:

Blogger PCD said...

What about having Dr. Kervorkian do checkups on Hussein and Co.?

2/14/2006 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home