Monday, February 06, 2006

Hypocrite or propagandist or just scared spitless?
US media shy away from reproducing Mohammed cartoons

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The US media has so far largely shied away from reproducing controversial cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed carried in several European newspapers, citing the potentially offensive nature of the drawings…

"If I were faced with something that I know is gonna be offensive to many of our readers, I would think twice about whether the benefit of publication outweighed the offense it might give," Fred Hiatt, editorial page editor at the Washington Post, told AFP.
Hiatt first came to my attention when I previously referenced the article below in this post.
Joint Chiefs Fire At Toles Cartoon On Strained Army

Fred Hiatt, The Post's editorial page editor, said he doesn't "censor Tom" and that "a cartoonist works best if he or she doesn't feel there's someone breathing over their shoulder. He's an independent actor, like our columnists." Hiatt said he makes comments on drafts of cartoons but that Toles is free to ignore them.

Asked about Sunday's cartoon, Hiatt said, "While I certainly can understand the strong feelings, I took it to be a cartoon about the state of the Army and not one intended to demean wounded soldiers."
And yet another cartoon enters the fray.


(Courtesy
Jawa Report)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home